Nestled amidst the turquoise waters of Belize’s Turneffe Atoll, the Turneffe Flats Lodge stands as an angler’s paradise, offering an unparalleled fly fishing experience for the discerning angler. As autumn 2023 gracefully transitions into the vibrant spring of 2024, this remote haven beckons those who seek the thrill of the chase, where the elusive bonefish and permit await in abundance. Here, amid the radiant Caribbean sun and gentle tropical breezes, your angling dreams will take flight, and the shimmering flats of Turneffe Atoll will become your canvas for unforgettable adventures in pursuit of the most coveted catches of the season.
Permit fly fishing at Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize is a truly exceptional experience that lures anglers from around the world. The Turneffe Atoll, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is renowned for its thriving flats, making it a prime destination for permit enthusiasts. Here, permit fishing is characterized by several distinctive features:
- Prime Habitat: Turneffe Atoll offers a diverse and extensive habitat for permit. The expansive flats, grassy bottoms, and intricate channels create an ideal environment for these elusive fish to thrive. The atoll’s pristine and relatively unpressured waters mean that the permit population remains healthy and abundant.
- Experienced Guides: The lodge employs a team of seasoned and knowledgeable fishing guides who intimately know the waters of Turneffe Atoll. These guides are experts at spotting permit, known for their camouflage and wariness, and will offer invaluable advice and support throughout your angling adventure.
- Challenging Pursuit: Permit are often referred to as the “holy grail” of flats fishing due to their selective nature and sharp eyesight. These fish are known for their skittish behavior and cautious approach to flies, making them a challenging target. Anglers at Turneffe Flats can expect a thrilling pursuit as they stalk these wily creatures in shallow waters.
- High Catch Rates: Despite the challenge, Turneffe Atoll boasts some of the highest permit catch rates in the world. The combination of ideal habitat, expert guides, and well-maintained equipment increases your chances of landing a permit. Whether you are a seasoned angler or new to the sport, you’ll have opportunities to test your skills and potentially achieve that coveted permit catch.
- Year-Round Availability: While permit fishing is excellent year-round in Belize, the autumn and spring months often see larger numbers of these fish congregating on the flats. The lodge’s strategic location ensures that you have access to prime permit fishing grounds during your stay.
- Conservation-Focused Approach: Turneffe Flats Lodge takes conservation seriously and practices catch and release for permit. This commitment helps sustain the thriving permit population and ensures that future generations of anglers can also enjoy the thrill of pursuing these prized fish.
In summary, permit fly fishing at Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize is an exhilarating experience that combines challenging angling with the breathtaking beauty of the Caribbean. The abundance of permit, expert guides, and a conservation-minded approach make it a top destination for anglers seeking the ultimate permit fishing adventure.
Bonefishing at Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize is an angler’s dream come true. The lodge is situated in the heart of prime bonefish territory, surrounded by vast, shallow flats and intricate mangrove channels that teem with these lightning-fast and elusive fish. With skilled guides and top-notch equipment at your disposal, you’ll embark on thrilling pursuits as you stalk schools of bonefish, presenting your fly with precision. Whether you’re a seasoned angler looking to test your skills or a newcomer seeking the excitement of your first bonefish catch, Turneffe Flats promises an unforgettable adventure in a pristine Caribbean setting, where the pursuit of these silver ghosts is as rewarding as it is exhilarating.
Competitively priced, Turneffe Flats offers that island paradise fishing experience that many of us seek. The lodge also caters well for non-fishing partners providing a swimming pool overlooking the flats along with excellent snorkelling and diving in a relaxed framework. The social centre for Turneffe Flats Lodge is the air-conditioned lodge surrounded by eight spacious, air-conditioned guest rooms located on the beach with panoramic views of Turneffe’s coral reef. There are also two villas for larger groups and families. All rooms are furnished with a queen size beds and an extra-long single bed and ensuite bathroom.
The lodge also has the Pelican Villa which is a perfect addition for larger families. If you are looking for a spring escape to the sun then Turneffe Flats should be high on your list of considerations.
Here are our five reasons for choosing to stay at Turneffe Flats Lodge:
- Craig & Karen Hayes live On The Island – Although this might sound a little odd as a reason to visit somewhere, once you are there it all becomes clear. Having started the operation in 1981, Craig and Karen are still there to welcome and look after their guests. Over the years they have assembled a team of like-minded individuals and developed and in incredible service ethic that immediately makes you feel at home. Nothing is too much trouble which allows you to truly relax.
- Turneffe Atoll Is A Stunning Location – As one of the largest atolls in the western hemisphere Turneffe remains and incredibly diverse marine eco system that has been heavily protected. This marine ecosystem offers not only incredible fishing opportunities but also amazing snorkelling and diving for those that wish to totally immerse themselves in a tropical island paradise.
- Flats Fishing for Tailing Bonefish – there is a distinct lack of places around the world where it is possible to wade for tailing bonefish and Turneffe Flats is one of a handful. There is nothing as exciting as sneaking up on a tailing fish in skinny water and watching its reaction to a fly. It is also possible to pick a rod up in the evening and wade out onto Home flat right in front of the lodge which is extremely rare.
- Variety of Species – As well as the prolific bonefish population that can be hunted on the coral edges and the mangrove lined beaches, Turneffe Atoll is also one of the permit hotspots of the world. On top of that at certain times of the year there is the strong possibility of bumping into migratory tarpon, big barracuda, triggerfish and multitude of species and flats environments.
- Comfortable Accommodation – Aside from the beautifully appointed air-conditioned beachfront cabanas Turneffe flats also offers several villa options which are ideal for families wishing for their own space.
|2023 No. Of rods
9 – 16 Sept 10
16 – 23 Sept 13
23 – 30 Sept 16
30 Sept – 7 Oct 16
7 – 14 Oct 8
14 – 21 Oct 10
21 – 28 Oct 9
28 Oct – 4 Nov 16
4 – 11 Nov 6
11 – 18 Nov 2
18 – 25 Nov 10
25 Nov – 2 Dec 18
2 – 9 Dec 16
9 – 16 Dec 17
16 – 23 Dec 20
23 – 30 Dec 14
|2024 No. Of rods
30 Dec – 6 Jan 14
6 – 13 Jan 10
13 – 20 Jan 14
20 – 27 Jan 12
27 Jan – 3 Feb 10
3 – 10 Feb 16
10 – 17 Feb 14
17 – 24 Feb 16
24 Feb – 2 Mar 10
2 – 9 Mar 13
9 – 16 Mar 14
16 – 23 Mar 12
23 – 30 Mar 7
30 Mar – 6 Apr 6
7 night / 6 day options
Cost is from US$5,290 per person based on double occupancy ex 13% GST tax or US$7,260 for single occupancy, single guide and boat ex 13% GST tax.
For those diving, cost is from US$3,490 per person based on double occupancy ex 13% GST, the Atoll Adventure package is from US$3,290 per person based on double occupancy ex 13% GST.
For those wishing to combine diving and fishing the cost is from US$5,490 based on double occupancy ex 13% GST.
If you are looking for a shorter stay, in order to combine Turneffe Flats with elsewhere in Belize, then 4 night/3 day and 3 night/2 day options are available for you.
For more information on Turneffe Flats Lodge please contact Peter McLeod or call our office on +44(0)1980 847389